Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cornell Note-Taking

"The best ideas are always stolen"

After reading Mr. C's post about note-taking, I was inspired to spread to the good word of note-taking to my students today. We took time out of our science schedule today to study The Cornell Note-taking System. Forty years ago, Walter Pauk (1989) developed what is known as the Cornell note-taking technique to help Cornell University students better organize their notes. Today, Pauk's note-taking technique is probably the most widely used system throughout the United States.
Pauk outlines six steps in the Cornell note-taking system:
  • Record
  • Reduce (or question)
  • Recite
  • Reflect
  • Review
  • Summary
Today we used this technique today to help us study plant reproduction, and we will continue using this system again tomorrow.

Mr. McClung

4 comments:

Little Voices, Little Scholars. said...

The note taking system that you are using is useful if you are attending a lecture. It helps you to note down all the important points and organize them in a logical way.

From,
Mrs She

The Trucker's Wife said...

I think this is a great thing to teach kids. I never learned to take notes in school. Not fun when the science teacher had a monster-sized board of stuff for us to copy down in a short amount of time.

jkmcclung said...

Like I told my students yesterday, majority of college students do not know how to take effective notes, including myself until recently. It is very important.

Mr. McClung

Anonymous said...

How come in my mind everything is equal, and I always end up recording everything as fast as I can??? So how do you train yourself to jot down just the important things. Taking notes is very stressful for me and I try to keep low as long as I can until someone ask me to do it, but I do it very hesitantly internally. Very stressful activity for me.