Monday, May 11, 2009

The Outsiders

For the remainder of the school year (two weeks), my homeroom class will be focusing on the novel The Outsiders. The book is written by S. E. Hinton, and was published when Hinton was only sixteen. The book is a coming of age tale of two rival groups, the Greasers and the Socs (short for socials). The story follows a 14 year old Greaser named Ponyboy Curtis, his brothers, and everyone in their gang. However, throughout the book Ponyboy and his friends face a constant conflict with the Socs. Throughout the next two weeks, my class will be preparing blog post, reflections (using Vocaroo), and create a novel study book.

Mr. McClung

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can it be? Is it true? Only two weeks? Vacation time, here you come :) Hope you are looking forward to a terrific summer everyone...will miss the "school blogs", but, will p/u the book.....love to read :)

Little Voices, Little Scholars. said...

Hi there!
Sorry I have not made any comments on your site lately! I hope to popping in more often from now onwards.

From,

Mrs She @ P. England school. Aukland New Zealand

Ricky said...

I read this book too, in school also. While the experiance was dampened by having to do a test after it, the book was quite good. I hope you like(d) the book!

~Ricky the Dragon
*Guys Read*

Unknown said...

Hey Guys

Im Koko B. Ware from guysread and I just wanted to comment back about The Outsiders. I have previously read The Outsiders in my language arts class. The book was awesome. Really, it was probably the best book I had read in a long time. Pony and Sodapop were my favorite characters because their personalities really struck me as friendly and caring. By the way, I am writing this as you are tracked out and you know, I've still got 5 more weeks left. You guys are so unlucky, tracked out maybe even at the beach, while we are stuck in class learning about Central Tendancy. How unlucky for you!

I feel for you,

Koko

Andre the Giant said...

Hey Andre the Giant from Guys Read I would just like to say that the Outsiders was a great pick, and I really enjoyed reading the book, not so much the work that came with it though...Well I just hope that you pointed out to your class how Dally is the best Greaser in the book and if you didn't that's okay. I just personally think that he was the best.
Well by calculating your posts and today's date I realized that you ahve summer break. You must be so envious of us that we still have five long weeks of school left.

Again great book pick and I wish your whole class and you a good summer.

--Andre the Giant fromm Guys Read